The theme for our Young Women in Excellence this year was, "Personal Progress: A Pattern for Life". Our Personal Progress Leader, Emily, found the idea here, I believe. I also found some great decoration and cupcake ideas here, after the fact - of course. All cute ideas!*
The invitation was a miniature pattern packet. Information was printed on the back. Each invitation was personalized with a miniature pattern placed inside the packet, with each Young Women's name on it. Let me know if you'd like the template.
- Polly: Is “over the top” put together, perfect hair, apron, skirt and blouse, white socks, shiny or sparkly shoes. BIG bow in hair.
- Molly: Messy hair (such as lopsided and messy ponytails. Too big shirt, half tucked in maybe ripped pocket on front. Chewing bubble gum and blowing bubbles loudly and chewing loudly. Two different colored shoes. Smudge of dirt on her cheek, (but cute).
- Each girl plans to make a blouse.
- Polly: (Opens pattern and reads instructions out loud.) “Use pattern pieces A, B, &C.” Looks for pieces and finds each one. “Here we go.” “I just LOVE following directions.”
- Molly: (Opens pattern and reads instructions out loud). “Use pattern pieces A, B and C.” Looks for pieces but only finds B & C. “Where is pattern piece A?” “I guess I can just use B twice. It’ll be fine. Who needs directions anyway. How hard could it be?” I’ll just do it MY way.
- Both girls pin pattern pieces to fabric.
- Polly: “I just LOVE pinning.” (Proceeds to perfectly pin pattern to fabric)
- Molly: “Hmmm now where did I put my pins? I know I had them last week.” Whatever, I guess I’ll just use this gum.” (Sticks gum to back of pattern piece and sticks to fabric)”My way is soooo much better.”
- Polly (reading pattern directions out loud). “Pin right sides together. “
- Molly: “Pin right sides together” “now which is the right side?” Hmmmmm
- Both girls continue to sew then each holds up their finished product.
- Polly holds up a perfect blouse. “I just love sewing.” “It’s so much fun to make something all by myself.”
- Molly holds up a blouse that is messed up. “What????” “This really stinks!” I’m never going to sew again. What a big waste of time.” “Nothing ever turns out like the picture.”
YW Project Spotlights:
YW Project Spotlights:
The girls were each given a place to display projects they have worked on during the year, as well as time to explain/talk about one of their projects. Parents, leaders and the Young women themselves were given time to see up close what everyone had accomplished (after the closing prayer).*
Closing Comments: Young Women President or Bishop
Closing Hymn: #229 "Today While the Sun Shines"
Closing Prayer: ____________________