A Glimpse of the Past

Brie received one of the most adorable gifts for her 16th birthday.  I thought it was so clever and thoughtful.  Her friend found a vintage owl clock.  She removed the clock face and inserted a black and white photograph of the two of them in it's place.
*
*
Beautiful girls, inside and out.  :)
 *
*
Talking about vintage finds...
*
Yesterday, Maddy and I met up with one of the young women in our ward - who has been waiting for me to take her to a few of the antique shops near our home for over a year.  Better late then never, I suppose.  The three of us had such a great time meandering through the shops, excited by the treasures we discovered, and bewildered by items we had no idea what they were - or purposes they once had.
*
A few of our memorable finds:
  • women's vintage hats (I think a wall of vintage hats could be quite cute, if done right.)
  • vintage cameras (Maddy fell in love with these!)
  • a view finder, with a ton of black and white photos of incredible architecture and landmarks from the early 1900's
  • beautiful jewelry, which we envisioned being worn by royalty (it was probably all costume jewelry though)  :)
  • a really cool wire butter slicer
  • vintage toys
I have a love of birds, so when I saw this pair of ceramic green birds I had to take them home with me.  The shop owner surprised me when she mentioned there was a 20% off discount on my find.  Yeah!  They are so much cuter in person - I really need a new camera!
*
*
As we were walking back to the car I thought, "how fun would it have been had we had a slip of paper with the dates of when our parents, grandparents, great grandparents were certain ages (year they were born, teenage years, year they were married, etc).  We would have been able to take a better glimpse into their lives as we searched for treasures."
*
I got home excited to find a nesting place for my new treasure (the birds).   Then I starting thinking about some of the treasures I already had at home.  A couple of those items:  a baby blanket made by Great Grandma Tholen and embroidered pillowcases handmade by Grandma Phillips.  Both of these items are wonderful treasures to me.
*

My thoughts then turned to, "What will my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren treasure most, as they think of me?"  "What more can I do to leave a glimpse of the past - for them?"