Banana Split Time!

You girls would be proud of your niece!  She sent me a text yesterday asking if she and a couple of her friends could go to Sonic after school, for a BANANA SPLIT. (and yes, she had it in all caps)
*
*
Let me clarify, for the rest of you, what the significance of the banana split is...
*
We have a unique tradition for the girls in our (extended) family.  I believe it all started with one of our aunts and her daughters.  Love them!  Whenever one of the girls "starts" (her period) for the first time we celebrate with a BANANA SPLIT!
*
I remember making the phone calls (to aunts and cousins) stating it was "Banana Split Time!"... we met up at a local ice cream parlor, giggled together and enjoyed our sweet treats.  It sure did make a not so fun experience - fun!
*
Getting back to the text I received yesterday... she continued the text by letting me know that a friend had "started" and after hearing what our family does, she wanted to do the same.  She said it would make her feel better about the whole (life changing) situation.  :)
*
I don't know what makes be more happy:  knowing that my daughter is a good friend or that she is proud of our quirky family traditions.  :)